Wednesday, May 28, 2008

6 Weeks

We had a challenging week to say the least last week. Anna Kate has been eating extremely well since she was born. About last Wednesday, she started getting fussy during feedings, and didn't seem to be satisfied when she seemed to be finished. Long story short, after an agonizing visit to our pediatrician Friday which included what turned into 3 needle-pricks in her feet and a catheter to collect a specimen (is it normal to want to physically injure the nurse performing these tests??? LOL) and a thorough physical examination, our doc concluded that there was nothing wrong with Anna Kate...Praise the Lord! But, I was in a quandry as to what was going on with the feeding issue. We came home and attempted to feed, and after a frustrating and ear-piercing few minutes, I decided to feed her a bottle I'd pumped earlier, and she took 4 oz! Because she had only gained a few ounces in the 3 weeks since our last appt, I decided to do whatever it took all weekend to feed her as much as possible. After MUCH pumping and perseverance, I must say, we went back to the doc yesterday and Anna Kate had gained 11 oz in 4 days-that has to be some sort of record! The good news is, she's actually nursing for the most part yesterday and today and obviously it's very nourishing. I'm just thankful we've made it this far! I went today to rent a hospital pump (thanks for the advice, Fran!) to hopefully increase the supply and I'm taking an herb my OB recommended. I welcome any other suggestions from you blogger moms!

On a lighter note, this past Saturday was our 6th anniversary. I told Tyler the other day, that in those first lovesick days of our relationship, I didn't think it was possible to love him more, then on our wedding day, I didn't think it was possible to love him more...Now I love him even more for the Daddy he's becoming, and the way he loves Anna Kate. God is definitely good, and has blessed me beyond what I deserve by giving me a Jesus-loving husband and a beautiful baby girl. Now if I can just remind myself of that at 3 am when Anna Kate doesn't seem to want to go back to sleep after she's eaten! :)

With our baby on our anniversary!
Thanks Mom and Daddy for watching her so that we could go to dinner!


Isn't it just so sweet how enamored she is with her daddy? Every time he speaks she opens those eyes wide and smiles! :)


My anniversary flowers...aren't they spectacular?


Our big Memorial Day dinner took like 3 hours to cook, because the flame kept going out on our grill because of the gale-force winds of a passing thunderstorm


Playing in the floor with Grandaddy and Grandmama after dinner

9 comments:

Frances Vineyard said...

Happy Anniversary to a wonderful couple!! Way to go Elisa for hanging in there this week! I have been there, and I know it has been tough!! Hang in there, you are doing SO good!!
Frances

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about you and all the feeding issues. I am glad that you have seen some success and weight gain. So good to talk with you on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we connected on Sunday so I could know how to pray...and I've been thinking and praying about the feeding issues. Glad it's going better. Patti

Sara said...

To increase my milk supply, I would pump after every feeding. This seemed to help me. Now I pump 11 oz. in the morning after Anna has slept all night. You might try this. I am officially a stay at home mommy now, so we need to get together sometime.

The Whitley's said...

I had the same issue with Tucker. He would not nurse but he took a bottle fine. He was really colicky and it started at about the same time-six weeks. I finally went to straight bottle feeding. when Tucker was about 3 months, someone suggested that I take him to the chriropractor, I thought they were CRAZY but I called my family chiro anyway and he said to bring him on in and see if there was anything he could do. I took him and from that day forward Tucker has been a TOTALLY different child. He said it could be anything like how he was in the womb or how he born(natural child birth is a little harder on babies because of the stress on the mother). I totally reccomend it if you have a really good chiro that you trust. Everyone thought I was crazy but I promised it was a miracle fix for Tucker. Any questions just call me 789-1653.
Julie

Amanda said...

Okay, so about the nursing... I think...that...I have zero knowledge on the topic and can be of absolutely no assistance.

However... I would like to wish you & Tyler a Happy Belated Anniversary!!! I'm bummed that I missed it...I always keep those dates on my calendar...and certainly from weddings I was involved in! I'll be a better friend on that front next year :). I love that you're happy...and am so happy for you.

Good pictures...keep those bad boys coming :).

Pam Bowers said...

Happy Anniversary. Hope everything gets better with the feedings. I too...know...nothing to help. sorry. Anna Kate looks adorable. Thanks for sharing your pics.

elisa said...

Thanks so much guys for all your encouragement! You're the best!

Anonymous said...

Nice post!! I am living in a farm house. I placed a order for beautiful flowers at deLaFlowers for beautiful flowers for my daughter's new baby.